Something to add?

Email tdogood@hotmail.com with contributions or comment in the Suggestion Box. Anonymity guaranteed.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dr. Burnett Converts to Inerrancy (I think), Makes Jokes About Barth

A Critical Review of: “A Teacher’s Theological Guide to Inerrancy In The Original Manuscripts: A Non-Barthian Approach,” by Dr. Richard Burnett.

 

We Convinced Dr. Burnett to change his mind!!!!

YAY!!!!!

(please keep reading to find out all about it)

As you all know, Dr. Burnett is a professor at Erskine Seminary who as far as I know does a great job teaching his students. He does have one dark mark against him, though, and that is his refusal to sign acceptance to the Synod’s 2008 document on the inerrancy of scripture.

I have never talked to the man myself nor met him, unfortunately. In fact, everything I know about him is from ARP Talk, perhaps the most reputable source of knowledge around save for the original autographa. I hear that Dr. Burnett posted something or other on his Seminary site about how others have mischaracterized and misquoted him, but of course I haven’t read it.* Why should I? He’s obviously biased.

Dr. Burnett wrote a document entitled, “A Teacher’s Theological Guide to Inerrancy In The Original Manuscripts: A Non-Barthian Approach.If you enjoy this blog you are sure to enjoy Dr. Burnett’s musings on inerrancy (I certainly do). What a bunch of silly things he says! How funny he is! We must be sure to keep such silliness amongst ourselves; thankfully as The Others are busy reading Barth (who does that?), there is little danger of them reading it. Actually, we should probably keep it on the Down Low among our own friends too. Why on earth did he write this monster?

I applaud Dr. Burnett for carefully reconsidering his position on inerrancy. I wonder, what convinced him? Whatever it was, it proves the power of positive thinking. Focus on what we say long enough and eventually you’ll not be able to consider anything else. It’s that 2+2 thing again, O’Brien.

Next time though, try not to take down the house of cards when you defect.

[This post was inspired by a contributor].

 

*Actually I have read his statement; it was powerfully written and convincing. I still have not yet read Barth, however, preferring instead to read him quoted elsewhere under the “masterful” use of the ellipsis (point 53 in Teacher’s Guide)

No comments:

Post a Comment