Something to add?

Email tdogood@hotmail.com with contributions or comment in the Suggestion Box. Anonymity guaranteed.

Monday, May 10, 2010

What Free Speech giveth…

… somebody taketh away. I happily present the removed posts from the Supporters of Synod site, unedited and in the original form (one might call these the autographs, but let’s not go there).

Update: An anonymous commenter below has kindly pointed out that Tim Phillips posted an apology on the Supporters of Synod site. His words are appreciated:

I posted this story a couple of weeks ago and then wound up deleting the thread yesterday after some less than kind words were posted. I should have deleted those comments from the outset, and my apologies to any who were offended. I am reposting this after conferring with David D. and at his suggestion. Any posts that are contrary to the spirit of the request of the Chair and Vice-Chair of the BoT will be removed. This is a time for all of us, on all sides, to be in prayer for the Board of Trustees, as well as the College and Seminary.

 

Original Comments:

Tim Phillips "Hopefully this process can begin quickly and be completed in such a manner that Erskine can move forward. We pray that all involved in the situation will open their hearts to the possibility of resolution and reconciliation. We also pray that all who are involved will refrain from actions that would make resolution and reconciliation more difficult. In particular, we hope that all would refrain from attacks on individuals or a group who may indeed be trying their best to do what they think is right.

We solicit your prayers and your support for this important process to glorify God." April 29 at 7:39pm

Janis Cunningham That sounds encouraging. Thanks for posting, Tim.
April 29 at 7:55pm

David A. Danehower I agree that this is encouraging. Can we all draw close to the fence that divides us and extend a hand across it? I hope and pray that we can! April 29 at 9:39pm

[Temperance: Notice 24 hours goes by between these two posts]

David A. Danehower Boy, I sure am getting tired of holding out my hand! Anybody want to extend theirs? April 30 at 10:14pm

Janis Cunningham David, you know, the people involved in the negotiations really aren't on this site. So don't take it personally! I do appreciate your positive attitude especially in comparison to some others. But I think the best thing we can do at this point is pray and wait. It would certainly be good for all this to be resolved privately rather than in court. April 30 at 10:43pm

David A. Danehower Janis, I'm well aware that the folks involved in the discussions (I'd hesitate to call them negotiations) are not on this site. But I do not think that discussion and attempts to reach across the table, or fence (to use my metaphor) elsewhere are something to be avoided elsewhere! Why do you think that I continue to try and engage folks here. I really have appreciated those who have reached out a hand, perhaps most notably yourself. I understand (!) that there are differences between us. But does not our shared love of God and his message of redemption through his Son, Jesus, transcend whatever doctrinal differences we have? We can begin our own little "peace party" here if we want. But we have to want to do so. Personally, I want to do so! May 1 at 8:12am

Janis Cunningham David, I want you to understand that many of my relatives and friends probably come from a viewpoint closer to yours than mine. So yes, I enjoy friendships with people who do not have the same exact beliefs I do! So from that aspect, yes, we certainly can be friends with people who have some differing views as long as their is mutual respect. I think our exchanges have been cordial the entire time (yours and mine). May 1 at 8:44am

Janis Cunningham I have to add, though, that your attitude is not typical of the most active posters on the alumni site. May 1 at 8:45am

David A. Danehower Janis, Thanks for your kind words and the the offer of your "hand across the fence!" It is appreciated! You are right -there are a lot of different kinds of people in this world and we can and should love them despite their differences with us! Is this not amongst the greatest of Jesus' teachings?

The key is, as you suggest, mutual respect. I am really sorry for what has come between the ARP Church and members of the Alumni (many of whom are ARPs!). This is a particularly difficult time for the latter.

Yes, there are some posts on the Alumni site whose attitudes differ from your and from my own opinions and demeanor in this matter. but it is not just some alumni who feel deeply and have spoken unkind words. If you have been reading Mr. Charles Wilson's blog, you know that there are harsh words coming from the the other side of the fence as well! This evening, I have been shocked at Mr. Wilson's latest words:

http://www.arptalk.org/2010/05/01/email-5-erskines-egregiously-execrable-executives/

While Mr. wilson has an amusing penchant for assonance, I find his comments to be absolutely out of line for an ARP minister, or a minister of ANY faith! I cannot find any hint of the Golden Rule in Mr. Wilson's comments. What Mr. Wilson has been saying and continues to say is singularly unhelpful!

This is especially so in light of the fact that the Erskine BoT and members of the Synod are seeking to hold quiet and prayerful discussions and seek a just resolution to the current situation. How can these inflammatory remarks by Mr. Wilson be helpful? Even the untempered posts that you point to on the Alumni site do not rise to this level of vitriol!

I hope that you and I can agree that these discussions are worthwhile. While we may differ in the outcome we each desire, I think you and I would be willing to join together in praying for a just outcome in this matter. May 1 at 9:59pm

Janis Cunningham Let's just say that I am not fond of inflammatory language from either side. And I certainly do pray for God's will to be done in this situation. God may want the ARP to focus more diligently on making Erskine a fine Christian institution of higher education or He may have other ministries to which ARP efforts and finances can be directed toward building the Kingdom. May 1 at 10:26pm

Tim Vaughan The best thing the ARP can do is to excommunicate the godless liberal swine who think they can act autonomously from the vows they took. Theological liberal hate Christ, so how on earth do you think they will take anyone's hand? They hate Christ. That's why they took their own church to court. It would be easier to make friends with a rattlesnake or a scorpion than those godless fools.
Yesterday at 6:23pm

John Randolph Harrison Just an example of more inflammatory rhetoric. It comes from both sides. Many on the Alumni site fanning the flames aren't currently ARP's and this kind of talk doensn't come from the family of ARP's that I grew up in or knew while a member of Centennial in the 50's through 70 or when I attended Erskine. I had a lot of relatives in the ARP church one was the director of BC in the 60's and I never heard anyone talk or act like this. 4 hours ago

Tim Vaughan Act like what? Running to a secular court when there is a church court available? Talking nice and stabbing in the back is what, civilized in your view? Please justify the secular court action in the most positive light you can. 3 hours ago

Tim Phillips As one of the ones with a knife in his back, I would like to ask that all of us refrain from inflammatory rhetoric on this site. I have read the alumni site from time to time, and while the discussion here is nowhere close in tone, we do not want to begin sinking to that level. I have been quite guilty of sarcasm myself, but please, in all sincerity, let's calm down a bit. 3 hours ago

Richard Johnson @Tim Vaughn. Try this. I break into your home and steal all your belongings. I'm arrested and go to trial. The judge is my father. The jury is made of all my relatives. Do you think you would get justice. That's what's going on at Erskine. Just looking for a fair trial, and it ain't gonna happen in the Synod. And, all your talk about rattlesnakes and scorpions won'g make it so. about an hour ago

Tim Phillips [Previous comment deleted]  As a reminder, we are going to refrain from the rhetoric. In addition, accusing a church court of injustice will not be tolerated. You do not have to agree, but that will not be posted on this site.

If the rhetoric continues, I will remove the entire thread. The post was supposed to be positive, to encourage reconciliation, not continue to "fan the flames" as was aptly stated above.

[Temperance: Note that Tim Phillips deleted the comment by Richard Johnson and not the comments by Tim Vaughan. I’ll let you decide which comment is more inflammatory, but nobody can argue that Vaughan’s comment is not “rhetoric.” Why Tim Phillips removed the comment he disagreed with and not both comments we will never know.]

Richard Johnson Hey Tim, No one can question the church court, but Tim Vaughn can compare good Christians to snakes and scorpions, etc. That is exactly the point of this protest against the actons of the Synod. Bury your head in the sand if you wish. It doesn't change the facts of what is really happening here. I'm pretty sure you'll delete this as well. ".......where never is heard a discouraging word". It seems the discussion is fine as long as it conforms to your view.

[At this point the entire thread was removed – David Danehower offer of friendship and all.]

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you saved this thread. As an ARP, it really bothered me as well that Tim Vaughan's comments were not taken off at least when the other one was removed. It's very telling . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Tim Phillips has reposted the original post and has apologized for not removing the inflammatory post more quickly.

    ReplyDelete